Here are 5 tips to help you make a good first impression:
- Dress comfortably, but professionally. Keep in mind that these conferences are packed with lots to do. You'll be on your feet a lot, so wear comfortable shoes if possible.
- Take a notebook and pen. The sessions are chock full of information, so it's best to come prepared to take notes.
- Take business cards, but leave your manuscript at home. You'll be meeting lots of people at the conference. Business cards are handy for exchanging contact information quickly.
- Attend all meals. This is an excellent way to meet new people. Take some risks and try sitting next to a different person at each meal.
- Be polite. It's great to be friendly, but don't approach your favorite author in the restroom, for example. Also, please silence the cell phones.
Writers' conferences are a great opportunity to meet authors, agents, editors, and publishers. Whether you are an unpublished writer, a reader, a librarian, or a seasoned author, writers' conferences have something to offer for everyone. Best of all, these conferences are so much fun. So smile and have a great time!